A Million Laws and Not a Drop of Justice to be Found
The era of live and let live is dead in America. We killed it. We replaced it with the era of do as I say. Politicians campaigned on using government to control our fellow citizens. We, in turn, voted for a state-regimented life that would make a robotic Stepford wife feel comfortable. Diversity offends us. Nowhere is this more evident than in the so-called “liberal” blue states where even the most trivial action must be regulated by the state. I’ve given you a few examples, but there are, sadly, millions from which to choose.
- You have to water your lawn or we will fine you, but water it too much and the state will fine you too. It would be a shame if you were strangled to death by police over a cup of water.
- You can’t us plastic bags when you shop.. unless you use the plastic bags to hold your marijuana buds.
- It is illegal to shovel snow for your neighbor. You don’t have a business license.. and we can’t have kids compete with licensed businesses.
- Speaking of kids, the only safe curriculum for students are the studies dictated by the state. That is why homeschooling is so dangerous.. for politicians.
- We ticket a non-violent citizen because he is eating while driving.. and then wonder why citizens scorn the police. The ungrateful citizen is lucky he was not shot for threatening the officer with a mouth full of food.
- The state will fine you and close your business if you refuse to make a cake showing two men holding hands. That, after all, is discrimination against homosexuals. However, it is OK if you refuse to make a cake with the words one man and one woman for life, because some speech is more equal than others.
- And while you’re eating your cake, don’t drink organic milk or free range venison. The state can’t let you eat food that hasn’t been inspected. The first time they will simply destroy the unapproved food. The next time you go to jail.. if you live through your arrest.
- The state requires the boy scouts to accept gay scout masters.. and then holds the boy scouts to blame for sexual assaults by scoutmasters. Ditto the church. But when public school teachers assault children, the schools are not held accountable.
- Speaking of the church, you can worship any way you want, as long as you don’t invite your friends to your house to pray. You could have a party at your house twice a week, but you need a permit to pray because praying makes your house a church.. and churches require special zoning permits.
- Did you take up a collection as you prayed together? The state made it illegal for you to run a cash business. They will seize your bank account if you do.
- The state needs to control the light bulbs you use. Soon a politician will run on the platform of no-knock raids to check if you have illegal illumination. Might as well search to see if your mattress tag was removed illegally while the cops are there. If you’re lucky, you’ll be asleep in bed when the police break down your door. Too bad for you if you come to the door with your TV remote control in hand.
- The government says my employer owes me free healthcare.. except free healthcare is now so expensive that a smaller fraction of us are working than any time in the last 36 years. Heck of a job, Barry.
How did we get all these laws? Year after year, politicians proposed, passed and funded each new law to satisfy a special interest. Now we have a mass of laws that serve no one.. except the politician. This punishing regulation is practiced at all levels of government; city, county, state and federal. We are using the lethal force of the state to regulate everything. The police strangled Eric Garner over selling untaxed cigarettes. We even see the feds use regulations to beat up the states they don’t like. Every aspect of government has been politicized and weaponized.
That is not an accident or unintended side effect. This control is exactly what we voted for. I can count on one hand the politicians who want smaller government. They are the only politicians of either party who have my support.