Don’t make the US into Europe
I read that European unemployment is the highest it has been in 15 years. Half of Spanish young men and women can’t find jobs. I’m sad for them and grateful to read about it rather than experience it. We get to see how the European social experiment has worked out. I doubt they had this in mind when they voted, but they made their own future. Now it has arrived.I’m not smug. It is not a foreign future. Many political liberals say socialized Europe is the model we should follow in the US. They advocate;
- High levels of regulation. Life will always be better with a few more regulatory boards and commissions.
- High food subsidies, so high food prices
- High taxes on energy and political limitations on sources of energy
- High corporate and personal taxes
- A huge “social safety net” that protects people from the unpleasant consequences of unemployment
- High deficits and rates of inflation
- Slow economic growth
- High unemployment
- Riots over high taxes
- Increased rates of fatherless children
- Increased rates of drug use and crime
- Open immigration. Why shouldn’t the world share our charity!
- Increased racism and violence directed at foreigners
- Low native birth rates
I understand why politicians want to make citizens depended. The politicians get to play Santa Claus with other-peoples-money. I don’t understand why someone would want to live that way and sign up for a future of dependence. I understand why some people want PART of the government package, but it is a package deal and you can’t have only the part you want. History has never seen it.
If you can take care of yourself, then why would you want to make the US look like Detroit and South Central Los Angeles? We have to give up a lot of freedom and responsibility to get crappy dental care paid for by the state. I think it is a horrible trade. Let Europe be Europe.
I’m all about compromise, so here is a small proposal that might give both liberal minded and liberty minded US citizens what they want.
I propose our public schools must teach French so our liberal citizens can feel at home when they move.
Here is a clunky video about cutting taxes in the US and why that produces jobs and growth.